Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies (12/26/2009)

This recipe comes from a magazine called Ready Made, and I am way pumped because Jacob got me a subscription for Christmas! The recipe was created by Krissy Welch and Greg Ainsworth from Krissy's Cookies in Los Angeles. But I have a couple questions, like: what is white spelt flour? and how hard is it going to be to find... like, can I just go to Smiths, or am I going to have to hike it to Whole Foods? aluminum-free baking soda...? I wasn't aware that aluminum was an animal by-product...
My point, if I even have one, is that I haven't made these cookies yet, and I hope someone besides me tries them out and goes all out with the ingredients. I will do my best to find the exact ingredients these guys call for, but I'm on a budget and excuse me rich vegans if I don't wanna pay five extra dollars to buy something organic, even if it is more earth beneficial. Sorry Mother Earth that my mint chocolate chip cookies aren't sustainable, or whatever.

Cook time: 42 minutes
Yields: about 48 cookies

Ingredients:

- 3 cups organic white spelt flour
- 2 10 oz packages grain-sweetened chocolate chips (sunspire brand), or more if you can fit them in
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1 tsp organic sea salt
- 1 cup light colored agave nectar
- 3/4 cup organic safflower oil
- 1 tsp organic peppermint oil
- 1/2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla
- 1/2 cup organic crushed almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, chocolate chips, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl stir together agave nectar, safflower oil, peppermint and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the nectar mixture and stir until well combined.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. Using wet fingers, gently flatten dough mounds and sprinkle each with about 1/2 teaspoon of crushed almonds.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned and edges are set. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes before transfering to a wire rack. You can eat them at room temp, but the article says they are best chilled. To store, layer cookies between waxed paper in an air tight container. Store at room temperature for up to three days, or in the freezer for up to three months!

Well, there it is. I hope you all had a merry Christmas! Mine was wonderful, spent with friends and family, and it was Finn's first Christmas where he had some clue what was going on. If anyone knows what white spelt flour is, please let me know. I will probably never take the time to google it. I will post pictures when I finally make these bad boys, but I am still traveling. In the mean time, happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment