Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pie Crust From Scratch

Why is it that I get sick EVERY time I travel? Honestly, if you know the answer to this please clue me in.
So, sick and lazy, I peeked into my freezer and POOF, there was my leftover pot pie filling! No Pillsbury Pie crust? No Problem! Here is how you make your own dang pie crust (top and bottom):

You will need:

- 2 and ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 10-12 tablespoons cold water
- A fork and two hands.


Place flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in your shortening using your fork, or pastry blender if you are a cheater, until pieces are pea sized. (Easiest if you buy your shortening in cubes, then you can use a floured knife to pre-cut the shortening into small squares, which makes blending it into the flour go a lot quicker.) Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Divide in two, and form each half into a ball.
Roll them out on a lightly floured surface, and when you’re ready bake them according to the directions of whatever recipe you are using.
-Just a reminder, the pot pie bakes at 350 degrees for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment