Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chocolate Cherry Chiffon Pie

Once again, Paula Deen comes through. Although, I don't think there was enough butter in the crust, it didn't hold together at all. Really Paula, I never thought I'd say the words, but the next time I make this I will add more butter.

Ingredients:
- 24 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (oreo's)
- 2 tablespoons butter (I would use more butter, or maybe double stuff cookies)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (6 oz) box cherry-flavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 (16 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen cherries, thawed

Directions:

In the work bowl of a food processor, combine cookies and butter. Pulse until crumbs form. Press into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine boiling water and gelatin, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Add ice, and stir until melted. Fold in whipped topping until smooth.

Fold in cherries.

Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. This pie looks amazing. I would love to eat a piece of that RIGHT now.

    I have done a ton of research on meringues trying to get my right. They say if the meringue sweats then you should let it cool completely before putting it in the refrigerator. Do yours separate from the crust? I have tried everything. It drives me crazy. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what you mean...are you asking if the filling seperates from the crust, or the actual meringue? In either case I have not had that happen. Just the "weeping" weird droplets that form on top of the meringue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My meringue separates from the crust. I really wonder if it is the fact that I live at high elevation. Some food critics think the weird droplets are beautiful. I have mixed feelings. Do you put it in the fridge before it is completely cool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think I do. I usually bake after Finn goes to bed, so I always end up cutting into pies before they are completely set because I wanna taste them before I go to bed. Then I just throw them in the fridge. I need to get it together earlier in the day!

    ReplyDelete