Friday, July 30, 2010

Eating Out. (2/8/2010)

So my baby and I live life on a pretty tight-ish budget. This last week we had a little too much fun, and we will pay for it later...

Part of the fun included eating out twice. Restaurant #1: Ruth's Diner; restaurant #2 Rusted Sun Pizzeria.
FYI: When I go out to eat with someone I like to try places that are new to everyone, that way we have all shared in a new experience together. Bonding. Warm feelings. Jacob doesn't get this about me. He has lived in Utah for the exact same amount of time I have. Granted, he is downtown everyday at school so he passes different things while he is out and about, but he is always telling me how great this place is, or that place, like he's some kind of Utah tour guide. Suck it Jacob. What do you know, anyway? (I bring this up is because he had already been to Rusted Sun.)
We were downtown driving around and I said "How 'bout lunch? You up for something new?" And he was like "Sure, I know this great place..."
"No, no, no. I said something NEW..."
"Yeah, but this one place has..." bla bla bla.
The long and the short of it is we ended up going to the place he wanted (Rusted Sun), and you know what? It was pretty good.

Rusted Sun serves pizzas, calzones, and salads. I got a bbq chicken calzone and I really, really enjoyed it! The flavor of the calzone bread went really well with the gooey bbq insides. The BBQ goodness was running down my arms. I almost finished the entire thing. Jacob got the Mediterranean calzone, which I taste tested of course. The salty kalamata olives and Feta cheese gave a classic contrast to the chewy, sweet sun-dried tomatoes and carmelised onions. I thought mine was the better of the two.

So if you ever find yourself driving down State Street around 2000 South and you think to yourself "I am in the mood for Italian, but I also kinda want BBQ...hmmm" just look to your right (-if you are heading south, to your left if you are heading north toward downtown) and problem solved. Get there before 6:30 if you want to be sure of a table, it's pretty small.

Ruth's Diner, I believe, was on an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Or it almost was, or Guy Fieri ate there one time, or something like that. It's located at 2100 Emigration Canyon, SLC Utah 84108 (so now you can mapquest it). I LOVED it there. They offer a lot of vegan and vegetarian dishes which is nice, and have a great variety of entree options in general. I got the Caprese Sandwich with chicken. Wow! Jacob got Raspberry Chicken, which was a little too weird for me because it tasted a little too much like a dessert, but he was way into it. We also split the fried mac n' cheese appetizer which was awesome and Finn's favorite, and got the banana nut bread pudding for dessert (which I liked, but Jacob loved).
So there you go. Both places have menus available online:
http://www.ruthsdiner.com/
http://www.rustedsunpizzeria.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment