Friday, July 30, 2010

2: Vegan Orange Cornmeal Pancakes

Because I don't get to post as often as I'd like, I've decided to make my time on the computer count. Today I've posted six awesome breakfasts that, since making them the first time, I have craved over and over again. My favorite of the six has to be the breakfast puff pastry. It is super easy and delicious, and I probably make it twice a week because I love it so much. Enjoy!



Recipe By: Tina Bell Stamos, published in ReadyMade: Issue 45, February/March 2010

Cook Time: about 30 minutes
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:

- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup plain soy milk
- about ¼ cup canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple or agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced across the grain




Directions:

Stir together dry ingredients. In a second bowl combine milk, 2 tablespoons oil, syrup, and vinegar. Add into dry mixture and stir until just combined.

Heat some of the remaining oil in a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add orange slices and cook for 3 minutes or until browned, turning once.

Reduce heat to medium. Place a couple pieces of orange in the center of the skillet and pour about ¼ cup of batter over it. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, turning when edges appear dry.

Repeat with remaining orange slices and batter, adding more oil to the skillet as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment