Friday, July 30, 2010

3: Fancy Baked Beans

Because I don't get to post as often as I'd like, I've decided to make my time on the computer count. Today I've posted six awesome breakfasts that, since making them the first time, I have craved over and over again. My favorite of the six has to be the breakfast puff pastry. It is super easy and delicious, and I probably make it twice a week because I love it so much. Enjoy!


Recipe from: ReadyMade Magazine, Feb/March 2010
Recipe by: Neil Roake

Prep time: 8- 12 hours
Cook time: 2-3 hours, depending on prep
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:

- 1 lb navy beans
- 3 onions, cut into 8ths
- 7 oz smoked salted pork (I wasn’t able to find smoked salted pork, so I just used plain salted pork)


- 2 t dry mustard
- 2 t Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 ½ cups water
- one 15 to 16 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 T salt
- 1 t white pepper

Directions:

Soak the navy beans over night.

If you don’t want to soak them over night that’s ok, you just need to allow an additional 45 minutes of cook time.

In a heavy-bottomed large pot, place the soaked beans, onion, salted pork, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves.



Boil in water with the lid on for 1 ½ hours. Now add the can of tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.

Cook for an additional 30-45 minutes with the lid off. The water may dry out and scorch the bottom of the pot, so keep an eye out.
This is really great when served for breakfast along side toast and a fried egg. So delicious and filling, these beans may sound odd as a breakfast treat, but I tried it and loved it! Plan on making them for your lover after a night of passion (you will have to plan ahead) and they will be impressed…

No comments:

Post a Comment