Friday, July 30, 2010

Green Chile and Cheddar Potato Pancakes (the purrrrrrrrrfect midnight snack) (2/9/2010)

So come ten o'clock tonight I was STARVING.

I am tempted to make excuses about how I spent all afternoon running a ton of errands and didn't have time to eat a very good dinner, but come on. Do we really need a reason to wanna eat? I could always eat. Always. I found this recipe in my newest issue of Ready Made, my new favorite magazine. The recipe was created by Tina Bell Stamos in an article entitled Pancakes, about what else... all kinds of amazing pancakes! I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, as I think most of you will. I loved mine topped with salsa, lime juice and sour cream, but I also tried a bite topped with a little agave nectar (less than $2.50 at Winco and a great syrup replacement) and that was really delicious as well. I think these cakes would also make a great side with grilled chicken or steak, or as an accompaniment to a yummy Southwestern style soup. Please try these! They are heaven! Although, grating the onion bites the big one...

POW! So Good...


Prep time: about 25 minutes, Cook time: 4 min per pancake
Yield: about 7 pancakes

Ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz shredded sharp white cheddar
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 lb russet potatoes grated and pressed between paper towels or a rag to remove excess moisture
- 1 medium yellow onion grated and pressed between paper towels or a rag to remove excess moisture
- ¼ cup canola oil, divided

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. Set aside.

Whisk together eggs, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in cheese and chiles. Add in shredded onion and potato.


Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Drop potato mixture by level tablespoons into the skillet, using the back of a spatula to flatten pancakes. Cook two minutes on each side or until edges are golden. Add oil as necessary.



Transfer pancakes to your prepared baking sheet and keep warm in the oven, that way when you're ready so are they. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment