Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hot Fudge, baby! (10/20/2009)

Let me tell you about a little thing called “The Meatloaf Stack.” Start with a slice of buttered, toasted sourdough bread, then add 2 large scoops of mashed potatoes, top with a slice of meatloaf coated in mushroom onion gravy. Wanna know the fastest way to clog a toilet? Get five adults sharing a bathroom to all order the stack for dinner, then lock them in a car for two hours. When the dust has settled I believe you will find your toilet is out of commission.
The Meatloaf Stack is served at the Carnation restaurant in Disneyland, and that is how my family spent last Thursday.
Friday passed in a way much more my style: morning massage and adjustment, nap, aged steak from Bandit’s, and then a few of us went to see Where the Wild Things Are. Yes, my Friday was the BOMB. The weekend was quiet, the highlight for me was taking a drive up to Buellton and eating at Ellen’s Danish Pancake House. Their thin crepe style pancakes are so good. They serve them with butter and powdered sugar. Ugh, I wish I could wake up to them every morning!

We drove home on Monday, and we made it to just past Boulder, Utah before Finn decided to start throwing goldfish at the back of my head in revolt. So, a good drive. (My son might be the devil…)
The recipe I am sharing with you tonight is my mother in laws hot fudge. Famous throughout Newbury Park and Thousand Oaks, and already once published on a much cooler blog than mine, I feel I have to do my part to share it with the rest of the world. I hope you try it, I have actually seen people fill a cup and drink it straight.


(When Larene makes this she doubles the recipe.)

You will need:

- 1 and ½ cubes Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- about 6 oz Carnation evaporated milk
- 6 to 7 tablespoons Coco Powder (depending how ‘chocolaty’ you want it)
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar

There doesn’t seem to be an exact science to combining the ingredients. The best way I can figure to prevent lumps would be to heat the butter and vanilla together in a sauce pan (probably over medium to medium-high heat), then alternate adding the dry ingredients (coco powder and powdered sugar) with the carnation milk, whisking like crazy. Larene puts hers in a mixer to get rid of lumps, and then reheats it. Pretty fool proof (yay!) but beware of overheating, which Larene says can cause the mixture to become too sticky. If you have leftover fudge that you will be keeping in the fridge, adding a little extra butter when you reheat it will help keep it from getting ‘sugary.’
Sorry I don’t have any pictures of this to post, I hate cooking when I have no idea of the end result I am shooting for. I will probably put some up soon, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment