Friday, July 30, 2010

5: Caprese Stratas with Basil, Tomato and Mozzarella

Because I don't get to post as often as I'd like, I've decided to make my time on the computer count. Today I've posted six awesome breakfasts that, since making them the first time, I have craved over and over again. My favorite of the six has to be the breakfast puff pastry. It is super easy and delicious, and I probably make it twice a week because I love it so much. Enjoy!

Recipe from: ReadyMade Magazine, Feb/March 2010
Recipe by: Neil Roake

Cook time, including prep: about 40 minutes to an hour
Serves: 6-8

Let me preface this recipe by saying that I cut this recipe in half when making it for my husband and myself. We loved it! The one complaint I have is that my stratas took a lot longer to bake up than the recipe states. The original baking time was supposed to be 20 to 25 minutes, but it took me about 40 to get the eggs to set up, which was fine and nothing got burned.

Ingredients:

- 8 eggs, beated
- 1 cup milk
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ t nutmeg
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into one inch cubes
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 32 fresh basil leaves (you don’t really need that many, the flavor can get pretty strong)
- 8 croissants, each torn into 4 equal pieces

Directions:

Beat the eggs with the milk; season with sea salt and pepper and nutmeg. Distribute the croissants between 6-8 oven proof bowls or ramekins.

Do the same with the balance of the ingredients.

Pour the egg mixture evenly over the stratas...


and pop in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
This is another one of those recipes that is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It was warm and comforting, but was also fresh and didn’t leave me feeling heavy after eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment