Friday, July 30, 2010

Moroccan-Style Chicken. Eat it with Couscous. Do It. Do It. (1/30/2010)

I am a jerk.

Yep. Two of my dearest friends had birthdays this week (one on the 26th, one on the 27th) and did I remember? Did I send a card? Make a phone call? Hell, did I even give them a shout-out on Facebook (the lowest of the low...)? Obviously, no. But I am not new to this whole "being a jerk" thing, so I am pretty skilled with the "make-up." I had friend number one (her birthday came first, and she actually lives in my state) over for a belated birthday dinner of her choosing... although she bought most of the ingredients... but I made cookies! Friend number two, look out for a card in the mail. (He doesn't read my blog, so it will still be a surprise. But at least you guys know I made some effort.)

Here are the spoils of the belated b-day feast. And we feasted my friends, FOR I AM SPARTACUS! (and I just watched That Thing You Do for the first time the other night... I know, behind on the times.)


Moroccan-Style Chicken with Couscous
Serves: 4
Cook Time: about an hour-ish…

You Will Need:

- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Pinch of salt
- 4 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on.
- about 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup dry white wine (I used ½ cup)
- 1 tsp tomato paste (I used 2 tsps)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved ( I used a whole jar, about 2/3 cup… the more the better, am I right?)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- cooked couscous (we cooked a whole box for four people, soooooooo good!)

Directions:

Combine the spices (first 6 ingredients) in a small bowl. Rub over the chicken breasts and let stand about 5 minutes. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, adding the chicken skin side down. Saute until brown on both sides (took about 12 min a side.)

–Note: it is important to sauté the chicken over medium heat as the spices could scorch and turn the sauce bitter.


Remove the chicken and set aside. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of the drippings (I left about 2 tablespoons and it was perfect.)

Keeping pan over medium heat, add the onion and sauté about 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, pepper flakes, and cinnamon stick. Cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Add the tomato paste, and stir to combine. Simmer until liquid is almost completely evaporated (over medium heat.)

Add the tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, olives, honey, lemon and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Arrange the reserved chicken on top, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is reduced, about 20 to 25 minutes.


Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving if desired, and serve with couscous.



Happy 27th Laura Dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment