Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cheddar Muffins

I have one week before I’m off with Finn to my in-law’s in California. I have nine dollars for one week of groceries. We have stuff in the freezer, but I may have to be a tad more creative. When Jacob offered to go to the grocery store for me today I only requested two things: nutella and chocolate chips. At least we won’t have to go without our chocolate chip nutella ice cream sandwiches for this last week… few!

Yesterday I set myself up for some baking. I made some basic dinner rolls, and while those were rising I made some cheddar muffins. I had never made these particular muffins before; I got the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. The recipe yields 12 muffins. There are only 2 left. Jacob has only had one, and he had to fight for it… I ate a few with chicken salad, I had some with chicken noodle soup, and I had one for breakfast with sugared strawberries and raspberries. These muffins are definitely going on my regular rotation.

For the Cheddar Muffins:
Cook time: about 25 minutes, Yield: 12 muffins

(This happens to be the first recipe in the “Breads” section of my Homes and Gardens Cook Book.)
- 1 and ¾ cup All-Purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Grease your muffin tins, or line with paper cups and set aside. In one of two bowls combine first 4 dry ingredients and set aside. In second bowl combine egg, milk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Add cheese and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix, as this will make your muffins dense and tough. Spoon batter into muffin tin, and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, you know the drill. Allow them to cool for a few minutes, but they are the best warm, when you pull them apart and see the melty strings of gooey cheddar…yummmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment