Friday, July 30, 2010

6: Breakfast Puff Pastry

Because I don't get to post as often as I'd like, I've decided to make my time on the computer count. Today I've posted six awesome breakfasts that, since making them the first time, I have craved over and over again. My favorite of the six has to be the breakfast puff pastry. It is super easy and delicious, and I probably make it twice a week because I love it so much. Enjoy!


Recipe from: ReadyMade Magazine, Feb/March 2010
Recipe by: Neil Roake

Cook Time, including prep: about 30 minutes, Serves: 2-4 people

Ingredients:

- one sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- one egg, beaten
- thin cut strips of red and/or yellow bell pepper
- cherry or grape tomatoes
- onion, sliced thin
- pancetta slices

You could really top this breakfast pizza with whatever sounds good. Other ideas could include asparagus or sliced chorizo sausage. It’s also yummy if you add on a fried egg before serving.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
As I noted above, allow your puff pastry to thaw. It doesn’t need to be thawed completely, if you pop it in the oven while it is still a little firm or icy just be prepared to give it a little longer cook time. Brush the inside of the pastry with the egg wash, leaving about a 1 inch boarder for the crust. (This is me applying egg wash with a paper towel because my basting brush gave up on me a few months ago and I still haven't replaced it. Ghetto? Deal with it.)

Toss your vegetables lightly in some olive oil and salt and pepper, and arrange your vegetables however you like on the pastry. I leave the meat and add it on last, so that it will crisp up and not get soggy from the juices of the veggies.

Bake in 350 degree oven for anywhere between 12 to 20 minutes, until your vegetables are nice and roasted, and your puff pastry is golden. The magazine suggests serving with a chunky tomato chutney or an arugula pesto but I love mine as is. I hope you love it, since discovering this recipe I now make it at least twice a week. It’s as good as a quick light dinner as it is a yummy breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment