Thursday, July 29, 2010

California Continued, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame Dog. (10/18/2009)

Monday was pretty quiet. Jacob and I had lunch at the Macaroni Grill with my mother in law, Larene. I have never had a meal I didn’t love there, and how awesome is it that you can draw on the table?! (Except for my husband who draws wieners…so don’t ever give him the crayons.) Later that day Larene and her girlfriend Jolyn took me to see the movie Bright Star, about the last few years in the life of the poet John Keats. The movie was good, but a little strange, and Jolyn laughed when the actor playing Keats said the word “breasts.” So no, I guess we never grow out of it, but I think I like it better that way.

Tuesday Jacob and I drove down to SAN DIEGO!!!! Without Finn!!!!! And we went to my favorite sushi place down in Hillcrest, Ono Sushi!!!!!!! (http://onosushi.com/) And I got my OWN order of volcano rolls!!!!! Whooooooo!!!! And I got to hang out with some of my favorite co-almost-adults: Jon, Jane, and Jason. And we talked about things you should never talk about in front of children of any age!!!! Although, Jacob almost made Jon cry. He didn’t totally cry, but his mustache twitched and his eyes got a little red and misty. (Note: it is one thing to blog about religion with Jon see http://ourantithesis.blogspot.com/, it is quite another to get into it with Jon in person. Approach with caution.)

Wednesday: CONAN O’BRIEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Standing in line, in the rain, waiting, for over an hour. But it was totally worth it, and Serena Williams gave me chap stick…FOR FREE!


Yep, awesome to the third power. After Conan, Jacob and I drove downtown (L.A.) and went to an awesome hot dog place. You might have seen it featured on one of my favorite shows, Food Network’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It is called Pink’s and it is located on the corner of La Brea and Melrose, where it has been since about 1934 I think.


This brings me to the recipe of the day, the Hollywood Walk of Fame Dog. I wish I knew how they made their coleslaw, because it was the best I have ever had, but use your favorite recipe, or just buy some from your local KFC.

You will need:

- enough hot dogs for you and whoever else will be eating one.
- enough hot dog buns for your hot dogs. Potato bread buns taste best.
- about two heaping spoonfuls of coleslaw per dog.
- about one heaping spoonful of chopped tomato per dog.

Cook your dogs on the grill, or whatever your favorite way to prep them is.
(I don’t think it matters, it will never be quite the same as a Pink’s dog, so just make sure you make it to Pink’s before you die.) Place the dog in the bun and top first with the slaw, then with the tomato. Enjoy. Heaven.
Jacob and I also split the Pastrami Dog Burrito: 2 hot dogs, sliced pastrami, chili, Swiss cheese, and onions wrapped in a homemade tortilla. Oh my gosh. So good. And the chili is more like a delicious chili paste. You could use it as mortar it is so thick and gooey. Mortar for a delicious building made out of bricks of cheese… Yum.

And my trip isn't close to over!
I tip my glass to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment