Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lion House Pumpkin Bread

Well, happy belated Halloween…

Finn got to dress up as a Knight. (Thank you Jessie for buying the wrong size for your son and giving me this costume for free!) He looked adorable! And let me tell you, this boy who mostly babbles, when he’s not ignoring you, had “Trick or Treat” down by the third house. Candy motivates.

Now, never in my life have I ever experienced someone giving something other than candy, but last night I found “The Pencil Lady.” You may have thought, nay… hoped, that this creature only existed in stories but she is all too real, in her early 60’s, and living down the street from my church. Pencils???!!! Are you serious?!! Forget about saving my kid from cavities lady, I used to work for a dentist. As soon as he realizes that the pencil is not candy he is going to go ballistic, start flinging the pencil around, and he will probably end up poking his eye out! So, thank you in advance for the trip to the E.R. Pencil Lady. Look for the bill, it will be taped to your door in the near future. Give me a cavity over an eye patch any day.
Next year I am hoping to catch a glimpse of “The Penny Lady.”

Andrea, yesterday I recreated your apple butter pork tenderloin in my crock pot. One difference: I used pork loin instead of pork tenderloin because the loin cut was bigger than the tenderloin. It came out a little tough. Is this because I used my crock pot, or is loin tougher than tenderloin? It was still delicious.

Another experiment I tried… On Guy Fieri’s show on Friday he made what he calls “the bomb bakers.” They are basically baked potatoes that he brines for between 2 and 7 hours before popping them into the oven. (To brine just means to soak in heavily salted water.) According to Guy doing this seasons the potatoes and helps the skin crisp up when you bake them. As for the crispy skin, he was right on the money, but I couldn’t tell a difference when it came to the seasoning. Here is the link if you are interested in trying this out for yourself: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guys-big-bite-/the-bomb-bakers-recipe/index.html

One more thing, I thought I would tell you guys about this funny book I got from the library the other day. It is a kid’s book, so if you don’t have a kid of your own may I suggest that you get this for a friend who may have a kid, maybe for their child’s next birthday. It would also make a great fall baby shower gift. It is called The Pirfect Pumpkin Pie.


Here is a link for more info:http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pumpkin-Pie-Denys-Cazet/dp/0689864671

On that subject, here are a couple other winners for kids around two (Finn's top three favorite books, and my two favorite to read to him):

The Rainbow Goblins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rainbow_Goblins
http://book.consumerhelpweb.com/authors/derico/0500277591.htm
Where The Wild Things Are

My First Farm Touch and Feel Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type
Diary of a Worm



The recipe I am posting today will help you welcome in fall with a bang, and by bang I mean a huge sugar rush. It’s the Lion House Pumpkin Bread!

Makes: 2 loaves, Cook Time: about 1 hour and 15 min, including prep and bake time
You will need:

- 1 and 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 packages (3 oz each) instant vanilla pudding mix (The closest I can ever fine are 3.5oz, so my bread always has a little extra but I never notice a difference.)


* Now, you can add one cup of your favorite chopped nuts into the mix, or you can do like I do and top your bread with “Streusel nut topping” (found in the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book). Look for the recipe following the directions.

Grease 2 8x4 inch loaf pans and set aside. Mix oil, eggs and pumpkin in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda and spices). Add dry mixture to wet mixture slowly until just blended, being careful not to over mix. Then stir in pudding (and nuts if desired). Pour into prepared loaf pans. Top with Streusel Nut Toping if desired (recipe below) and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

For Streusel Nut Topping You will need:

- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts


Make a friend, give a loaf away...

No comments:

Post a Comment